Wednesday, October 28, 2009

*Side Project: Dragon Quest VIII "Hero"

For my computer sculpting class, our assignment was just to pick a character to sculpt, create a wire armature, add clay, and sculpt the basic forms and make sure you have the right proportions. I chose to do the "Hero" from Dragon Quest VIII. I've been sculpting for about 12 years, but I'm not used to such large pieces. This is a 12 inch figure, where I'm usually used to 1 inch little clay figures. That is until I worked on this piece. Now I feel confident that I can pull through no matter what size the artwork needs to be.





The hardest part about this sculpture would be the drapery of his over-coat. The Hero is wearing a tunic underneath and I needed to make sure I didn't disturb the first layer of clothes by adding the coat.



I also couldn't finish this piece without the cute little mouse, Munchie!



This was made by Super Sculpey. This is the clay that I usually work with, because the consistency is just right for creating extreme detail, being stable in terms of not warping during the sculpting process, and at the same time being pliable, soft, and mold-able enough to create the forms I need.

No comments:

Post a Comment